Monday, May 26, 2014

Varieties of Religious Experience - Book III


Well. Now that I have successfully (and finally) brought The Cross and the Trinity to publication, it is time to concentrate on writing the third book in the James Lucas trilogy.

Back about a month or so ago, I constructed an outline for the project and wrote the first chapter. A short way into chapter two and I realized the story was not working. I mulled it over for a week or two and then decided to put it aside and write the erotic lesbian short story I wanted to finish to submit to an upcoming anthology. Once that story was written it was time to put some effort into promoting the release of The Cross and the Trinity and planning my celebration and the book launch.
So this past weekend I decided it would be time to get to the nitty gritty of really working on Varieties and figuring out where I went wrong and what to do about it.
Luckily, while waiting to fall asleep on Saturday evening, listening to my husband’s light snores, I figured out a way to make the story work, and a fairly simple way, at that. Most of the story will stay the same except for some very major setting changes, mostly in terms of the time frame.
I had originally intended to start Varieties right where The Trinity left off. Then I suddenly realized that the story of Tate, Sebastian and James would be much more interesting if I related what was going on with them five years down the road.
Once I made that crucial time frame change, the story became much more real. I mean, it’s pretty obvious at the end of The Cross and the Trinity that things are going well, the three men are living with James in his home and making a go of being in a poly relationship. What if I look at what’s happening several years later? Are they still together in a triad? Do they still live together? If so, do they still live in James’ house? What are they doing for work now?
Once I began asking myself these crucial questions, a better story began to develop in my head. As the three men grow older, there will be new challenges and new opportunities. Their lives will necessarily change and it is my job to chart those changes and keep my readers interested in what is going on with them.
I feel like I can do that now and write a different sort of story, still full of graphic intimate moments, but permeated with a growing maturity and focus.
Because I’m so pleased with how The Cross and the Trinity turned out, the challenge of writing the planned sequel is daunting. But I will do my best to write an even better story in order to give these characters and my readers the closure they deserve.

No comments: