Monday, May 26, 2014

The Amazing Dixie Landers


I first heard of Dixie Landers when my friend, Guy, told me that he'd scored a cool new roommate. I thought it was pretty cool that he was living with a drag queen.
Later I friend requested Dixie on Facebook and she politely accepted. I loved seeing the posts about her performances and the photos of her in drag. I've only ever been to a couple of drag shows and they were in Toronto when I was younger - unmarried with no kids - so had a little more time on my hands.
It wasn't until I spied this short documentary about her posted to Facebook a couple of weeks ago that I finally had a chance to find out a little more about her and about Michael Marcil, the man behind the performer. I finally had time and opportunity today to watch the twenty-seven minute film without interruption. All I can say is, it made me tear up several times, and it also made me desperate to feature it here on my blog for all of you to see.

Filmed and edited by Anne Girard, the movie takes an in depth look at Michael's history and his motivation for becoming a female impersonator. Spliced with energetic performances and behind the scenes interviews, the video is a fascinating window into his life. I defy anyone who has children not to tear up when he speaks about his relationship with his mother and how she gave up a year and a half of her own life to nurse him back to health after a terrible event occurred in 2007.
I also recognized many familiar faces in this film, again urging me to find the time to get out more and mingle with the good people I know already and meet fascinating people like Dixie and other female impersonators.
Photo by Shawn Pudsey
Photo by Shawn Pudsey
Ottawa may be a boring old government town during the day, but by night, if you know where to go, it sparkles with talent and diversity and beauty.

No comments: